Thursday 21 February, 2008

Break Free

This is back here on popular demand :P

This is my first post after nearly a month's hiatus and hey first post for the year '08 ... :-)
A friend of mine has recently got his eyebrow pierced and he deemed it a painful experience, I asked him why he got it done...

His answer: “just for kicks, I didn’t wanna grow old and think I didn’t do anything crazy in college”

This remark made me smile but had me thinking the whole day…We all have a rebellious streak in us but how many of us actually listen to it and break free ..

Childhood and teenage—parents make rules
Marriage-spouses and in-laws set limits
Finally in old age-kids have issues !



There are some who want to color their hair a shade red or a garish pink.

There are a few veggies who are rebellious about wanting to try eating a piece of chicken.

While driving a bike at a devilish pace may seem like an instant kick for several guys ,there are others who hang on to their daily puffs like darlings thinking they are in heaven. these puffs could be a mixture of various legal/illegal substances or plain nicotine..

Households where alcohol is a taboo always have the naughty young ones running out to grab a beer when a match is scheduled and returning home late in the night with proper defense mechanisms in place to face family members:--easily achieved by mint/mouth freshners/coffee/chocolates or by simply staying back at a friend’s place ;-)

I have always wanted to have short hair with red streaks in the fringy area..and also wanted a tattoo with something in devanagri script which i haven’t decided would be what !

And of course the navel ring is a subject of immense fascination to me ..

I have never brought up these issues at home else all hell will break loose.
The haircut is an absolute no-no since at all family do-s ,aunties will whisper oh,this girl is too modern ,and those red streaks ,my god,what was her mother doing !

The tattoo is an achievable dream and I think I will go for it once I am old enough to earn and decide independently. The tattoo is regarded as a rebellious display of youth by elders whom I know. And there is even talk of some crazy HR policies that do not take too kindly to a tattoo,though I am not pretty sure of this .but one day,I will take the plunge .until then ,will be content with just giving furtive glances to the existing rebellious species around me . I get to see enough of these at college  lol

Just remembered ,its easier to don a pink/red wig and save the embarrassment to my loved ones !



Finished reading “The Namesake” it’s a very depressing book ….

6 comments:

krish said...

Normal ppl like us Getting a job or education, travelling between home and work, going for a drink or to the
cinema with friends, holidays are activities most of us take for granted.
But for too many disabled people out there, these ordinary aspects of life remain difficult to achieve.
That is why I ask myself n others to look at what more we can do to improve disabled people’s opportunities, to improve their quality of life and strengthen our society.
Instead of wasting time n money on something freak ways like body art and body piercing which may lead to a disaster decease if not done in proper way,
Wish not happened to be turn into a disability for normal's
Think again!!!!!!!

Meghana said...

@krish

so basically u r just saying u r a highly boring person who has no element of craziness huh !

else tell me one good cause u have volunteered for ,tat will justify u saying "ask myself n others to look at what more we can do to improve disabled people’s opportunities, to improve their quality of life and strengthen our society."? actions speak louder than words u know :)

Meghana said...

@ krish

just cos u volunteer for the idea of free tee :P nope sorry,not happening

Unknown said...

Personally, when I think of getting a tattoo, I wonder whether having a permanent mark on your body is worth the effort and the pain. I'm not a great fan of tattoo's or body piercings - I think it represents individuals who aren't content with themselves and need a way to express themselves. 40 odd years from now I'm going to be a slow shaky old man with sagging joules and wrinkled skin - I really don't think I would feel very rebellious having a tattoo on my arm at that point in my life

It is all, however, a matter of opinion - each to their own.

Meghana said...

@ aareet

u already know you wouldn't feel rebellious aftr 40 years ,so why not try tat feeling right away ?

I agree its a completely personal choice .. :)

Unknown said...

breaking free from what? is the fear of society which is binding you? rebellious...what for? do you really think that what they say is old fashioned and not suitable for today's world? maybe not all, but lot of them have a reason behind it and very good reason why you shouldnt do it. our ancestors wernt fools. Its just that they gave a different reason as normal people like us couldnt understand the real reason.

my moto is simple, go ahead and do whatever you want, but think it over first. You shouldnt regret it at any point of your life and it shouldnt affect others