Sunday 20 April, 2008

Mukthi 8.03 Day2







Day 2

Began with a lot of fiddling around with the projector and Shreyas's macbook,so finally we all sat around his Mac in a small group and he gave us his talk,he spoke about Clutters,he held all of us with interest and answered one basic question that bugs all beginners-"Where do I start from ?"

Noon ,one of the talks that i eagerly awaited-"switching to Linux",presented by Vivek.This was the best talk I could relate to.He gave a crisp talk,citing all the stuff available on Linux making it more than good to switch over.

Amarok,Rhythm Box,VLC -deadly matches to the outdated Windows Media Player :)
Torrents -Deluge
Gnome baker-disc burner vs Nero
Pidgin-IM works well even with windows :)
GIMP,Dreamweaver plenty of options to choose from,this talk charged me up and I have FedCore running on my system and gives me more reasons to use it more regularly :)

The day went on with sessions from Poornima on GCC-lot of gyan but pretty nice,
Archana gave a demo on Greasemonkey,this was also a nice one,she gave us a proper run through and I am using Greasemonkey now ,comes with a million scripts and if you do try it,blink twice ,read and install scripts only that you trust :)

They ended it finally with Laxman speaking about WINE,very interesting again,but I am not sure if I will get to using it finally.
And yes,almost slipped out of my mind,Thoughtworks ,the main sponsor for this event gave a talk on Ruby on Rails,touted the next big thing after Java !

The last part was the quiz that the CS quizzers conducted.WTF ,i wanted to scream out when some seniors who have already passed out and are apparently quizzers themselves walked in and participated in it and walked away with the prize,forget that,where in the hell is the spirit man,We are beginners and we have no bones about accepting that but mocking us that way is unreasonable,...yeah well,we didnt even turn in our answers ,we obv knew we dont stand a chance.

So pls take note,next year,if you have a quiz,make sure you know what kind of crowd you are dealing with and set it at that level,Dont keep it to entertain yourselves(the quizzers)There is no point in doing that ! If you think we stand no where in the race,thank you very much,but you can conduct a separate quiz for those guys ...

That ends Mukthi 8.03 :)

Hope it will be much more liberating next year ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I could gather from your posts about Day 1 and Day 2 is that my knowledge of anything remotely software is quite pathetic... But, wait... You're from Bangalore!?? Wow, that's cool! :D
Me too!! lol...

Meghana said...

@mirrorcracked

believe me,though i am studying that professionally,i am pathetic at it too !

yep right here@namma bengaluru :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, thats what u say! I'm sure you're a big shot java professional and coding away to glory! lol... :D

Unknown said...

Eventhough I didn't attend this time...I had heard 4m u a lot ab it...!earlier.

I shd say ur post also had a lot 2 say... thanks 4 d info..n d links
Next time no matter wat..? I will not miss it.. whether I understand r not..

Anonymous said...

yes shru me too........Next time no matter wat..? I will also join you .... whether I understand r not..i will not miss that event

Poornima said...

Hi meghana.. :)
First of all, nice blog.
If I have not mistaken, you are the one who participated in dance competetion at udbhav. If yes, that was a cute performance :). Loved your dance
It's upto you guys to carry forward mukthi next year. This time there were very few juniors who were in the organizing team.
And, btw, this is Poornima.

Vineet Rajan said...

i remember my linux days. LOL! now i stick to good ol windows! no matter how bad it is.

Meghana said...

@shru
u dare bunk it next year :P

Meghana said...

@kaling

hey sure man !

Meghana said...

@pacemaker

:) i recognise u as the GCC hudugi,my apologies :) trust me,we were so happy to see you girls participating with so much enthu @ mukthi,we r also motivated to be part of it next year too...I am from ISE,will volunteer for it next year surely :)

Will miss all you guys,the core team though :(

and thanks for all the compliments :) i'm glad u liked our show

Meghana said...

@vinni

i am really surprised u switched,linux users r so passionate,they will never get out of it no matter what ! :)