Monday 7 April, 2008

Shantaram


I bought Shantaram a couple of months ago.

As sheepishly mentioned before,I bought it with great enthusiasm hoping that I would read the book and enjoy Deepa Mehta’s movie better .For the uninitiated, read this

Now this idea was almost shelved, after many ifs and buts,I finally decided to give the 933 paged book a try .


The story begins with Roberts escaping from a maximum security prison in Australia and landing up in India,here begins his journey ,a fantastic,almost fictional tale(I would say so since his experiences are narrated superbly -quite hard to believe)

The central characters are strongly highlighted all throughout the book.Prabhaker-the naïve yet smart guide,Karla-the woman who stole Robert’s heart,Khader Bhai-the leader of the Bombay Mafia..All the characters are etched out beautifully and just blend with the backdrop of his tale .

Robert’s tale is inspiring,interesting and makes you look at India both in awe and disgust.With corruption,drugs,mafia and scandals galore it shows you the deep,dark Mumbai,yet the people at the slum,Prabhaker’s zest towards life and several other things bring about a smile to your face.

The book makes you laugh,cry,sympathize,worry,complain--A mixed bag of all emotions !

I was hooked on to the book thoroughly and thanks to Google images,I checked out what Roberts looks like..I was quite taken aback .I also saw the Leopold café that is the backdrop for most of the events occurring throughout the book .

Shantaram is the gripping tale of a man’s journey throughout Mumbai and his vast multitude of experiences. I am so eager to visit some of the places described in his work,that is the power of his narration .Roberts has mastered Hindi after his stay in India and also speaks Marathi !The novel was trashed twice after Roberts wrote it in prison.

I strongly recommend Shantaram to anyone who would be interested in getting a closer look at Mumbai- in its entirety.

Yes,the book can get quite a bit boring in between but it’s an experience in itself to finish the book.I was left craving for more,I wanted to know what happened to Roberts after his stay in Mumbai .Some sites tell me he has plans to write another book on what happened next in his life . Do give this book a try,you wouldn’t want to miss it :)

More recently,Gregory David Roberts was spotted at the LIFW on 30th March’08

Read more about it here …


These standing babas find a mention in Shantaram :)



15 comments:

krish said...

Hoho oo now I know why u wana go to Mumbai
Better u stay at my sis place
I will not go there for rest of my life

Asia's largest slum, Dharavi,
lies on prime property right in the middle of India's financial capital, Mumbai
The state government has plans to redevelop Dharavi and transform it into a modern township, complete with proper housing and shopping complexes, hospitals and schools. It is estimated that the project will cost $2.1bn (£1.1bn).
But the sad thing is……………..ppl just doesn't want it to improve……….its shocking

Sandeep said...

on my list... for long time now!

Meghana said...

@krish

maybe they r worried that the whole issue will take a political turn and they will be left stranded on the streets again !

Meghana said...

@sandeep

READ IT :P

The Alchemist said...

I read it a long time ago. I was looking for something to pass time. I was walking past church gate station and i noticed this fat book on the roadside bookstall. So i thought that looks like a nice time pass. Just 20 minutes into the book and i realized, this is no time pass. I had just found the best book i had ever read. Its clearly my favorite. You cannot put down that book. Let me tell you, the description of Mumbai is very accurate in the book. I have stayed in Mumbai for the past six years now, so i can swear by it. Its very hard to imagine someone going through all that.

Btw Johnny Depp is Gregory Roberts in 'Shantaram' the movie. Its directed by Mira Nair. I think its coming sometime in 2009

Looking forward to the movie and the sequel to the book(if any).

Anonymous said...

I really am waiting for this stoopid tests to get over so that I can start reading.

And I know, I'm going to imagine Jhony Depp as Shantaram and read it ! ;)
Will that make it better ? :P

~Priya

Meghana said...

hi alchemy

you are so lucky :) did you happen to visit those places mentioned in the book,leopold's ??

it's the read of a lifetime undoubtedly !

and yeah,the book became highly exciting since i imagined shantaram as johnny depp :)

yeah,anticipating the movie's earliest release..last heard,the movie was stalled due to the writer's strike in hollywood :(

Meghana said...

@priya

don't miss this book :)

but make sure you have enough time on hand before you begin reading it,its a pretty loong read :)

and yes,it surely adds up a lot of zing imagining depp as shantaram :)

happy reading !

Meghna said...

Hi Meghana,
Nice review...Haven't read it yet but hope to lay my hands on it soon...but am a bit lazy after jst finishing Eragon (the movie released long a ago!) and Eldest both of 1000 pages ....a tiring but enjoyable one...have you read it?

Sridevi Venugopal said...

Hey thanks to me that u posted that article on shantaram..:)it was me who asked you about the book that morning.. credit to me:)I inspired u to write it...hehe

Meghana said...

@sri

this one's for you :)

The Alchemist said...

@meghana

Ya me and my friends used to hangout at Leo's but it isn't that great a place. Its always full with foreigners. They are given preferential treatment. Our favorite hang out joint was the sports bar just before Leopold's. Great place, great music (rock, soft rock).

Meghana said...

@alchemist
interesting hmm

Anonymous said...

I love this book! I read it online, in a pdf... i was so engrossed in the book that i didnt even notice that i had missed school that day..!! Amazing story! :)

Meghana said...

@mirror cracked

yup,its such an addictive book,i agree !